Do any of you Tamboites from mid-60's remember a honeymoon couple staying overnight at Tambo. The details as I remember was they were on their honeymoon. They were on a motorbike and had come from the states and were going to Patagonia I think. By the time they stopped at school I'd had fun for several summers when Paul and Phil Hale came to Cochabamba and rented motor bikes. In those days there were no laws about wearing helmets, at least that I knew of. I loved being on a bike - in those days only as a rider, never in control.
After I graduated from Multnomah School of the Bible in Portland Oregon I moved to California and worked at the Wycliffe headquarters when they were in Santa Ana. I bought a small Honda 90 while there and totally loved it. Always longed for a bigger one.
Seeing this couple totally ignited my imagination. It was to me the most exciting way of travel and from that time my dream was to someday make that trip - from States to land tip in South America. I never have made that trip but it's only in very recent years I've accepted the fact that I probably never will. And more, have accepted the fact that now I would want a more comfortable ride. But I spent years planning that trip in my mind - what bike I would ride, what route I would take and always in my dreams was an overnight stop at Tambo. I've often wished I'd found out their names and asked them to keep in touch. I've wondered if they wrote a book about it. And I've wondered if stopping at Tambo became a memory for them, as their trip so set a rainbow in the sky for me.. One little chance event yes, but it's been one of those big moments in my memory.
No comments:
Post a Comment